Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Back in the Groove

It's been way to long since I've written. I got into a funk over the winter because I couldn't ride basically from February to April. The ring and trails went from deep snow to solid ice to mud and FINALLY they were 100% rideable in May. Me and my lovely barn mates treked out to a local show in early May and the first day was a bit of an embarrassment. But we looked pretty!
We were the only ones in our hunter division (adult long stirrup) so I ended up coming home with three very undeserved blue ribbons and the championship. The Weston Wayland show is absolutely the best possibly run local show you can imagine. They have lots of volunteers that make things run so smoothly. But Cassel wasn't having any of it. He was completely herdbound and wanted to know where his buddies were all the time. When we were cantering around in our solo class of one, he swapped leads. Since he really doesn't do flying changes in general without much concentration from me, this was a HUGE surprise. We're cantering around, super forward past the lean to where the registration desk is and suddenly I'm on the wrong lead.

The second day, I woke up and didn't even want to go back, he had been such a twit (for him). He didn't scare me at all, but it just wasn't fun. But my husband just said "Go drink some coffee" and shoved me out of bed.

I was so glad I went. The dressage did not go as well as I had hoped, but I hadn't had a lesson since November and then I went off course. But he was focused, I was focused and we had fun. 

Then we did this:
It was a little rough, but he's just so GAME when I get him jumping out of the ring. If I'm not certain I don't want to jump something he won't go. But if I commit, he will. For a horse owned by an amateur who only gets a couple training rides a year at this point, I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment